Saturday 21 January 2012

ANGLING: Marc gets his '30' after nine-year campaign UK Fishing

Oxford specimen hunter Marc Dibsdall has ended a nine-year wait for a 30lb pike by landing this cracker of 33.3.0 from a local lake.

It is the biggest reported pike from an Oxfordshire water for several years.

The successful rig was a simple one, comprising just a couple of SSG weights on a 30lb wire trace with size 6 barbless hooks in a four-inch section of lamprey.

Marc said: “Nine years ago when I first started piking, I was lucky enough to catch a 27lb pike from the TC pit which blew me away. Ever since then I’ve been hooked by these fish.

“The only problem was beating it. Since then I’ve had many 20-plus pike, but couldn’t beat 27lb.

“I wanted to stay away from reservoirs and the big popular venues as everyone is chasing the same fish, so after loads of Google-mapping and research, I came across a forgotten North Oxford pit, which use to be reknowned for its big tench and bream.

“I made this lake my focus for the winter, fishing it from mid-September until now. I had a few fish, but no big ones, although I knew if I stayed, a big one would finally come along.

“I had a small pike early on and then about 8 o’clock the alarm went. I struck and knew it was a good fish.

“She stripped about 20 yards of line before topping about 60 yards out with an almighty splash and then headed deep on to the lake floor. After a good battle, I finally landed the monster.

“The head was huge, and you could have stuck a saddle on her back, such was the width of her.”

The Oxon branch off the GB Pike Anglers Club have swiched their fish-in on Sunday, February 19, from Blenheim Palace to the trout lake at Watermark Fisheries, South Cerny, in Gloucestershire.

The last time a pike event took place on this 6.5 acre lake was 20 years ago when fish to 36lb were landed.

It will be open to a maximum of 15 members at £25 per angler.

Sea and course fish deadbaits can be used, as can livebaits if caught from the lake.

No livebaits can be brought on to the site.

THE DAILY CATCH http://fishingnews.posterous.com/angling-marc-gets-his-30-after-nine-year-camp Oxford specimen hunter Marc Dibsdall has ended a nine-year wait for a 30lb pike by landing this cracker of 33.3.0 from a local lake. It is the biggest reported pike from an Oxfordshire water for several years. The successful rig was a simple one, comprising just a couple of SSG weights on a 30lb wir ...

No comments: